More often than not, CO causation can be visually identified due to obvious tell tale signs such as cracked flue vents or physical soot formation and deposits. Investigation may be required to identify misdirected exhaust or natural air diffusion that transports contaminants into the occupant space.
Compliance and Verification?
Problematic carbon monoxide sources include portable generators, boilers, furnaces and other combustible burning appliances. Compliance with CO product warning/emissions labeling and state EPA exhaust certification should be verified. Compliance and verification of the following should also be inspected:
- Design and installation considerations.
- Sensor technology and systems.
- Compliance with Consumer Product Safety Commission product labeling requirements. 16 CFR Part 1407 “Portable Generators Labeling Requirements”
- Compliance with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill – SB 183) verified
- Compliance with NFPA 720 – Standard for the Installation of Carbon Monoxide verified